Daily Zen: 2018060301

· Read in about 2 min · (419 words) ·

SpundalaZ, second round!

Before I get to an explanation of the picture, I want to let you all know why there were no posts last week. My husband and I managed to get the flu, lucky us! We’ve run the whole gamut: aches and pains, fever, runny nose, cough, and general yuck! We haven’t had it in years, so that may be why we got hit pretty hard, but it really knocked me out for the whole week. And I’m still not cured. Yesterday, my nose started running like a faucet. Hopefully, I haven’t caught a different virus on top of what I already had!

Anyway, even with the constant nose blowing, I got some time to play with my new spinner, remember when I reviewed them here?

All of these, except for the tile in the lower right, are done on Strathmore Bristol Vellum. I used Crayola markers to draw on the paper, then I added water to get the colors to bleed into each other. If you decided to try this, I have some tips and tricks for you.

The main one is: make sure you have put all the marker you want on the paper before you add the water. Once they have been wet, they warp and you will not be able to add any more evenly. That’s what happened to the tile in the middle.

You may want to stick to four or so colors. But keep in mind that you can use mixtures of the four by coloring over one color with another. When you add the water, they will blend.

This paper sucks up water, so you need to add a fair amount. I used a big, fat, watercolor brush.

I start in the center and work outward. When the brush gets dry, just wet it again and continue where you left off. If you start on the outside edge with a lot of water, you’re going to get those streaks where the wet dye spins out like in the upper left!

I tried watercolor paper for the one in the lower right, and didn’t like it because the marker moved too much and got muddy when the water was added.

My plan it to turn these into buttons, like I did with the one here! Hopefully, I will be able to sit and tangle this week!

I actually have another one, from my spinner testing that is partially tangled. I will probably finish it first, before I start on these.