I realized that I forgot to show you all the pages that I made for the Mermaid Book! Right now, they don’t have anything much on them, but you can see the bases for the right-hand pages above. And this is what the back side of each of them looks like! I hope that over the next two weeks, I can finish at least some of them!

Originally, the binder mechanisim of my Mermaid Book was held in place by brads, one in each end of the mechanism. I started having problems getting it to stay in place after I added lots of pages. Looking for a solution, I headed off to the local Tru-Value hardware store. I love to look through the hardware bins anyway, and the people are always very helpful. The person at the store I went to helped me to find 1⁄4” screws and nuts to put on the shafts.

I’m making pieces that can be added to my mermaid book! In this case, I’ve stamped on multi-media paper and deli paper. I’ve used various colors of ink because I’m not sure exactly how I will be using all of these. Next, I will use Inktense pencils to add some watercolor effects to some of them. I may also use some paint effects over that, such as high gloss or crackle.

I worked on the cover of my mermaid book yesterday. I have decided that the title is “Mermaid Tales”. I added a picture of mermaids to the front, along with some word art. I was given the dimensional mermaid by a friend, and the crab may or may not stay. I’m thinking about it. I want to add some more dimensional materials to the cover, but I have to let this all dry first, so I don’t disturb it.

On Monday, you saw the start of the mermaid book that I made during the class on Saturday. You saw one page in the book. Yesterday, I made more pages. Specifically, I worked on shaped pages! They aren’t finished, but I thought you might like to see what I have so far. The first one is a nautilus shell. I like the shape because it reminds me of Leonardo Pisano Bigollo (c.

On Saturday I attended a class given by Regina Portscheller, in which we created ring binder art journals. We made the binders from scratch, building them up from book board, collaging and painting the cover and attaching the ring mechanism. I am making a book about Mermaids, so I chose to paint my cover a watery aqua color. The inside of the cover is also collaged and painted just like the outside.