I’m finding that, if I choose carefully, a project takes me about a week to complete. I don’t crochet all day, every day. Just when the time allows. But I’m getting a better feel for how long it takes me to complete something. So I was cruising around on Etsy, and I found an adorable pattern that looked like it wouldn’t be too difficult, but it would be fun when completed.

It’s hairdo day for my little doll! I think she’s very cute! This hairstyle is a wig that is crocheted flat and then stitched together. Next time, I will choose a lighter weight yarn, as this turned out a bit heavy. Fortunately, the “stub” neck style is very sturdy, and the head isn’t flopping over. I have to say, making the “curls” wasn’t a lot of fun. It was difficult to get the hook through the chain after each section of 2 single-crochets.

I’m so excited! Isn’t she cute! Her head came out perfectly and, as far as I can see, I didn’t make any mistakes! That’s a first! Now, to try crocheting her some hair! I think I’ll make her a dark blonde. Just dark enough to provide contrast to the body, but lighter than brown. Stay tuned!

I’m taking a short break from the Bina the Bear pattern because I found a cute, crochet doll pattern, for free, on Ravelry. It is Sweet Ami’s by Beth Webber. I only had a minor problem, with the left arm, but I’ve gotten this far without any major issues. I’m much happier with the tops of the feet for this project. They are much better than Bina’s! Next I have to make the head.

The largest part of this project, the body, is almost done. I did make some mistakes, but about half-way through, I got the hang of it. After that, things got much better! After a few more rows, I have to do the tail, and stitch it to the body. Then, I can move on to the arms. Bina is starting to shape up.

This body is growing. I’ve added stuffing to the feet, legs and part of the body. It’s fun to see this shape up, but I now realize one leg seems to be a row shorter than the other. I bought a new row counter, so maybe that will help?

Well, I have two legs and got them crocheted together. And I’ve learned some things: I don’t know how to do the invisible decrease properly, I have holes at the top of the feet, where the stuffing shows through. They just look messed up to me. Crocheting on dark yarn requires good light. I keep messing up the stitch count. I think I may be skipping over a stitch occasionally because I didn’t see them.

I finished the first bug from the Lalylala book. So I feel ready to tackle a bigger-sized project. I’ve chosen another Lalylala, but this time from her Doll Project. Bina the Bear, appears to be the first one, since it says No.I on the instructions. I figure it will be the least complicated and give me practice with the basic project without any additional things added, other than ears and tail.

I finished all the parts for the blue bottlefly! I am so happy with the way she turned out. And I am happy that I am giving crochet a go. Some parts have been a bit of a struggle, but mostly, it’s been fun! The wings were easier to make than I thought they would be. I was worried, because there was a graphic “chart”, but the instructions were also written out.

As I am purchasing yarn for amigurumi, I need a way to store it, use it, and keep it clean. I came up with this idea yesterday morning, but I’m sure I’m not the first person to ever think of it. This is a gallon ZipLoc bag, which fits the yarn nicely. I cut off one of the bottom corners, and thread the working yarn through the hole. Then I sealed it.

Yesterday, I made the “body suit” for the fly. It’s made from the same yarn as the hat. I got to learn how to crochet something that is flat and basically rectangular. In addition, this has a pattern to the upper part. I’m not totally sure if it’s right-side out, since I lost track of which was the front and which was the back side of the piece. But other than that, I think I did ok with it!

The pupa was sitting very quitely in the corner of my desk most of the day yesterday. Towards the evening, though, I noticed it rocking a bit. This morning, I saw a pair of little eyes peeking out, and shortly after a beautifully transformed head! Now she is looking much more like an adult Blue Bottlfly with huge red eyes! Seriously, I worked and worked on this hat.

Fly Pupa

  crochet bug lalylala

I did it! And with a minimum of frogging! During the pupa stage the white, characterless maggot takes on the form of an adult fly. This is the pupa for my fly amigurumi. I love the way it’s little eyes peek out of the casing! As you can see here, she is just beginning her transformation. After we’re done playing, she will go to sleep and wake up as an adult blue bottle fly.

Fly Egg

  crochet bug lalylala

Well, I think I’m getting a bit faster at making mistakes, LOL! Seriously, this is the little, hooded sleep sack that turns the larva into an “egg”. I learned how to do Half-Double crochets, how to increase them and decrease them. I did NOT learn how to “turn, chain two, hdc 1” very well. I had difficulty with this step. I also messed up the counting for leaving the opening in the sack, so it’s actually in the wrong place.

Fly Larva

  crochet bug lalylala

I’m pretty happy with myself! I manage to get the hat for my fly larva finished with only a few restarts, as you can see below. These went in the bin after I finished the hat and took these pictures. I figured out something about the counting. Since I continuously mess it up, I grabbed the purple, disappearing ink pen that I normally use for sewing. I used it to mark the stitches that had to have an increase/decrease before doing each round.